Chikos roll on
However, the recent creation of the ‘Loaded Chiko Roll’ has seen them evolve from a simple takeaway treat sold at takeaway shops to the ultimate solution for your customers’ snacky cravings that can be featured on the menus of trendy cafes and
appeals to a new generation of Chiko Roll enthusiasts.
It was 1950 when Bendigo boilermaker Frank McEncroe created a meat and vegetable snack in a crispy outer pastry that made it easy to eat with one hand.
He dubbed his invention the 'Chiko Roll'
and soon his self-contained savoury snack became as synonymous with Australia as a day out at the beach and an icy-cold bottle of Bundaberg Ginger Beer.
Frank’s culinary creation was inspired by Chinese-style chop suey rolls, so no doubt he’d be impressed by Chiko Rolls’ latest incarnation, which draws heavily on the popularity of loaded fries.
Loaded Chikos provide a mouthwatering experience
that is delicious and super convenient, with the crispy roll slathered in toppings including mayonnaise, diced bacon, jalapenos, tomato, coriander, and avocado, and served with a side of chips.
Loaded Chiko Rolls are just one example of how a classic snack can be transformed
to cater to a new generation or reengage traditionalists. For more inspiration on how to use Simplot Foodservice products to create new comfort food classics, check out our extensive recipe collection online.
Loaded Chiko Roll
• 10 x frozen Chiko Rolls
• 100ml chipotle mayonnaise
• 400g cooked diced bacon
• 200g drained pickled jalapenos
• 500g deseeded chopped tomatoes
• 20g chopped coriander
• 250g frozen Edgell Chunky Avocado Pulp, thawed
• 1.5kg frozen Edgell Supa Crunch 10mm Ultrafast Chips
1. Cook frozen Chiko Rolls following packet directions.
2. Drizzle with chipotle and top with remaining toppings.
3. Cook frozen Edgell Chips following packet directions. Serve with loaded Chiko.